Friday, August 30, 2024

the necessity of prayer and proclamation


But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.
Acts 6:4

The apostles had a thorny problem to solve. Although the Jerusalem church had a heart to help the poorest of the poor (widows), an ethnic disparity had emerged in the congregation. Greek speaking widows were being neglected in the daily distribution of food. This was a serious problem that the apostles had somehow not seen before, perhaps in the busy work of disciple-making, disciple-care slipped through the cracks. The twelve wisely admitted the problem and addressed it quickly.

The solution was for the church to choose seven deacons to administrate these tasks that the apostles could not. And the harmony was restored. This not only solved the divisive problem within the church, but it also freed up the apostles to pour their energy into their true gifts and calling to do deeply important tasks: praying and preaching.

Not much has changed in the two millennia since the first deacons were commissioned. Churches still have needs that require hands on administration and service. Pastors still bungle ministry if they neglect the important for the urgent. When things get out of whack with these physical tasks, people will suffer and complain. I’m so glad to have a wise design here in Acts 6 help guide important ministry to all the needs of the church. This brings ministry success for the glory of God. I’m blessed to have deacons in my areas of ministry oversight.

I’ve been in church pastoral leadership for over three and a half decades. I’ve seen deacons solve problems that I could not. I’ve had them manage things better than I ever could, just like the apostles did here. It isn’t that solving problems like this are beneath me. It is that my gifts and calling require an energy that I cannot put elsewhere.

Pastors and elders MUST be men who are committed to constant and consistent prayer and the faithful ministry of the Word of God. It is a daily duty and a delight to serve God’s people in this way. Here’s how I see prayer and proclamation on a regular basis… a synopsis of most of my “work week”:
  • Encourage people one-on-one. This can be an email, text thread, phone call, or a face to face meeting.
  • Counseling the hurting, confused, wounded, and weary. This is well over half of any given ministry week.
  • Teaching groups of people.
  • Participation in groups myself. This opens my life to inspection by others in the church who are entrusted with helping me grow and learn as well. This happens in group and in personal settings.
  • Sharing the gospel with a friend or neighbor.
The gospel advances in the service of saints to the church and in the ministry of leaders who will pray and preach! 

No comments:

Post a Comment