Friday, February 9, 2024

ugly spiritual abuse


…not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock.
1 Peter 5:3

I find myself drawn to understand what Peter is imploring elders to avoid. I’ve been a pastor since 1988. That’s nearly four decades of church leadership in three different congregations. I’ve worked with pastors, trained pastors, helped launch pastors during this entire ministry span. I’ve taken in new church members with their dreadful stories of pastoral abuse. I’ve witnessed ways in which church leaders are not led by the love of Christ and have accused others, manipulated them with false guilt, sinned against their brothers and sisters, and abused their power. I’ve had moments where my own ministry has been hurt by my selfish motivations. Elders are first and foremost gentle shepherds. As such, we care for a flock that belongs first to Jesus Christ!

I am alarmed at how often Peter’s warning goes unheeded. He warns us sternly against the direction selfish agendas WILL take ministry if we don’t guard against it. The word “domineering” has a scary range of meaning… none of it good! It means to control, to subjugate, to overcome by force, to dominate, and most insidiously, to be lord over. Bad elders try to be the lord of the church. That’s Jesus’ job!

Lord Jesus,
It is Your job to be Lord over Your church. I have no power over the souls that You ask me to shepherd. You are the Master. I am called to be a simple example of a man transformed by grace to lead by grace and love with Your grace. I need the gospel to set my agenda and not my own pride. Forgive me of any personal desire for control. Purge me of it. You are in control, Lord! You are the Lord of Your church! I am Your servant and the servant shepherd to Your people. You change me so that I can lead in that way. Make that simple shepherd’s service the story of my life, I pray.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment