Thursday, February 1, 2024

eat it up


Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation— if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
1 Peter 2:2-3

I expect to be eating today. Why? Because I am alive. I’ll get hungry. I will need nutrition and energy. I will be moving and doing things and for that I will need food. I find it perfectly normal to eat today. And every day of my life I have had that same need. It is healthy to long to eat. As a hungry infant I craved milk. As a mature adult my tastes are much more sophisticated. But I will and I must eat.

The same is true for me spiritually. I expect to be eating. I’ve opened the Word of God this morning, disciplining myself that even before breakfast fills my belly, the pure spiritual milk of scripture feeds my soul. Why? Because my soul needs the nourishing truth and power of God‘s Word to thrive today. I will be interacting with God and with people created in God’s image. Spiritual forces will align against me. The Holy Spirit will protect and empower me. But without that nourishing Word, I don’t stand a chance to have the stamina to win the contest.

One of the wonderful reasons I keep eating food is that it simply tastes very good. I am blessed with a variety of choices in my diet. This can lead to good health, growth, and strength. And the same is true for my soul. I have tasted and I have seen that the Lord is good (Psalm 34:8). He seats me at His rich banquet table (Song of Solomon 2:4)! It is no boring meal set before me.

Lord,
I have been fed well in Your Word. Now nourish this soul, sustain me, and empower me for this day, I pray! I am delighted to feast in Your Presence, tasting that You, My God, are so very good! May I grow in this nourishing salvation.
Amen`


No comments:

Post a Comment