Tuesday, February 27, 2024

staying stirred

I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder…
2 Peter 1:13

Growth in Christ isn’t so much about learning and doing some new thing every day. Maturity often means rooting in upon the basics, remembering what we have always known, and reminding others of the daily applicability of gospel reality. That is where I am right now. Peter’s words seem very timely.

Rooting in. The first psalm has always been an image of growth that sticks in my head (Read Psalm 1 if you’d like). The believer is encouraged to send deep roots by the rivers of water. It is there that we are constantly nourished. In the gospel stream we find refreshment, sustenance, support, and nourishing truth. And when I root myself into scripture, realizing that all of scripture gives me all of Jesus, I am strengthened to grow in grace and truth. And so I practice daily time with God and commend other Christians to that same nourishing stream so that together we will grow deeply.

Remembering. I want to meditate on the truth, ruminating on the same thing every day in a new way. The gospel is so full, so tasty to my soul, so rich in truth that the consistent memory and rehearsal of Christ’s life, death, resurrection, and kingship over all creation, brings essential perspective on all my past, my current situation in the present, and any anxiety about my future. Remembering isn’t being stuck in the past… it resources me for all my life… all my days… and then into eternity… Praise God!

Reminding. This practice of remembering is a community commitment. I call my brothers and sisters, both in corporate worship on Sunday and in committed relationship and fellowship each day of the week, to believe the gospel, feast in God‘s Word, worship our Savior, share the good news, and care for the needy. That reminding helps us to love Jesus, learn Jesus, and live like Jesus. It isn’t a novelty. It does stir us up in the story of the universe! What’s better than that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment