Wednesday, February 7, 2024

hard but not harmful


Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good?
1 Peter 3:13

This is a compelling argument for obeying the gospel and doing what is good. What’s it going to hurt? You will please God. And in doing good works you will help people. It’s a “win/win” sort of outcome.

Why then does my sinful self want to assert my own wants above what is best in giving myself to do what God says is good? I must, even as a Christian, choose to do what is right, against my selfish resistance to it. And when I do this, I do no harm. I receive no harm, but rather the joy of pleasing God and finding that other people are better because of my displayed love in Christ. 

Just because I have to choose to do the right thing does not mean I am ineffective. It is actually the opposite. Most of the best work in the world is done by those who are disciplined to reject selfish urges for the sake of a bigger commitment.

Like a soldier or an athlete who overtrains on the basics, who watches out for bad habits, who practices good nutrition and cross trains for a mix of strength, stamina, and conditioning, I too must pour myself into spiritually disciplined choices. The gospel and Holy Spirit empower me to do this. I have to be zealous if I want to truly do what is good. I have to commit. I have to do something with my faith both internally and externally. It may be hard, but it is not harmful.

No comments:

Post a Comment