Friday, February 2, 2024

God’s


But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Two observations fill me with wonder and praise as I read this verse. When I came to Jesus for salvation, believing and trusting Him, I became part of a much bigger thing than I ever imagined. It wasn’t so much about my individual need. It wasn’t that I got my “own personal Jesus” like the song offers. An individualistic salvation is just selfishness masquerading as faith. No… Jesus saved me to belong to Him, to belong to His people, to belong to His purpose.

A people of His possession. I am part of a much bigger salvation community. I am called into what Peter called…
  • A chosen race. A new tribe of people with a unique identity is forged in the church.
  • A royal priesthood. The King redeems us with kingly blood, making us princely priests to minister His saving work and good news.
  • A holy nation. In a world of broken nations, the church arises holy among all the nations of the world with a unique calling to be holy as God is holy. 
A people of His purpose. I am part of the Church. The church is called to proclaim the excellencies… the superiority… the necessity… and the exclusivity of Christ. We stand in a dying darkness holding out the ONLY light of life. And every person coming to the light of Christ joins us as God’s possession with God’s purpose.

Lord Jesus,
May I live as Yours. Own me today. Use me today. May it be not that You are mine in selfish individualism, but instead, that I am Yours in sacred abandon! And may this life burn bright and at full power to be used for Your purpose.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment