Tuesday, February 20, 2024

homeland hunt


For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland.
Hebrews 11:14

I am a stranger here, not able to feel quite at home in a world that does not feel like my homeland. Redeemed from a slavery to which I cannot return, yet living so close to my captors that I cannot forget my past, I look for my homeland. But I am still a stranger in this world.

I am an exile… a refugee… a foreigner in a foreign country. This world speaks a foreign language and my accent gives me away as a citizen of heaven. The culture in which I live does not understand the holy call that rests upon me. My customs are out of synch. My dance is out of step. I hear a different tune to which I choose to move. I am an ignored minority in a hell bound culture. I swim against the current. But I know I am not home here. I am far from my true and better home. I live each day seeking to be in that better place.

I am a sojourner. I don’t sit still and try to fit in to a place for which I am not created. I am on a journey through this world to the true world. I travel light. I hold all things loosely. I know that in the end the best stuff will all burn to be remade into a new heavens and a new earth, the home of righteousness. This whole universe is not my home! So this vagabond soul hitchhikes on to heaven… ready to be at that final destination. And this place cannot be my homeland… it is my land of journey. As such, it has a beauty and a purpose. It is scenery. It is journey. But it isn’t home. Jesus awaits to greet me in my home!

May God grant this pilgrim my passage into His kingdom. May the joys of this gypsy journey lighten my soul and keep me knowing God’s care and longing to enter into the joy of my Lord. As I break camp each day, may God help me make more miles toward my homeland. I am hurting for my homeland. I am haunted by and hunting for my homeland. I am happy to be homeless until I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment