Tuesday, February 6, 2024

prayer for my character


Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind.
1 Peter 3:8

Lord Jesus,
I come to You in the stillness of this new day and I ask that these things be true of me today. Mark my interactions with people with what You ask of me. May I both give and receive these experiences as I live for You.

Bring me into unity with my brothers and sisters in Christ. May I agree with those I see today. May we together worship You, love You, obey You, believe the gospel, and know Your Word. Give me unity in and with Your church.

Help me to sympathize with the hurting. I will have multiple conversations at various levels with people who are hurting and confused by life. Draw me into the story that You are writing in their lives. May Your Spirit give me wisdom to help them. Bring my heart beside their hearts. Help me to come alongside them with Your comfort and Your care, sweet Shepherd of our souls!

I want to love my brothers and sisters well. My church is so close to me. They are indeed my family. They care for me well, particularly this last year of sorrow and suffering. May I, in gratitude, love the family of God.

Soften my heart, dear Lord. Give me tender affection to those who need to be loved by You through me. And if they are hard to love, let me remember how hard it was for You to love me as You hung on a cross. Melt away my reticence, my cynicism, my fear of closeness, and give me Your tender heart for Your people and for those lost outside needing Your rescue!

Keep my thoughts of myself steeped in humility. I must decrease and You must increase! Any success I may have will be solely what You grant. Any strength will be the result of Your healing power and mercies. Shut me up to pride and boasting. Let my praise by only You, my God!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment