Monday, September 30, 2019

not wise in my own eyes

Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
Proverbs 3:7

The warning here is clear: seek God's wisdom, but don't be deceived by your own heart's attempts at wisdom in the process. (see Proverbs 3:5-6 for the context.) The litmus test of wisdom is this: True wisdom leads to the proper worship of God and repentance from sin. It leads a person to fear God and turn away from evil. Anything else is a self-driven false wisdom to be avoided. Do not be wise in your own eyes!

I must see all true wisdom as God's wisdom. Even if I made a good choice, it is only because God's wisdom led me to that choice and not because I'm so great. I must guard my prideful heart from comparing wisdom to anyone but God. His wisdom is always perfect. Mine is broken and flawed.

I must check my pride by realizing only the grace of God to a sinner like me (who does not deserve God's gracious gifts) has resulted in God's wisdom in my choices. God gets the credit... I did not do it!

I am not worthy of the wisdom of God, but I am so very thankful for it. I need His direction for my life, to follow Jesus well, and as I do so, I will have God use me to show others the love of God, and the wisdom of God, in Christ. That is the best life.

I will turn my eyes from my pride as God enables me. I repent of any wisdom that is in my own eyes. I declare now that only the foolishness of the cross is all the wisdom I will ever need.

No comments:

Post a Comment