Wednesday, September 4, 2019

a glory greater than kings


All the kings of the earth shall give you thanks, O Lord,
for they have heard the words of your mouth,
and they shall sing of the ways of the Lord,
for great is the glory of the Lord.
Psalm 138:4-5

God’s magnificence outshines the splendor that any earthly kingdom can contain. The Taj Mahal? A convenience store. Buckingham Palace? A lean-to cabin in the woods. All the treasures of The Louvre? Tourist shop trinkets in comparison to the glory of God in Christ. No nation’s wealth, no despot’s power, no treasure of mankind comes close. This is what led David to declare that all the kings of the earth shall sing of the ways of the LORD. Great is God’s glory. And the words of His mouth are to be treasured beyond all measure of precious earthly wealth.

Does my worship of God reflect this value, or am I still chasing the worthless dust of this earth? I live in a place of affluence compared to most people now on this planet. I never worry about a meal, or having a roof over my head, or enjoying healthy, clean water. I have never been homeless, or jobless, or alone. And yet I am tempted to miss the truth that all these things are blessings pointing me to the glory of God Who provides the daily needs that I have.

Lord,
I sing of the value of Your extravagant grace. It is what I will live for. You provide all that I need in this life, and in the next through the mercies of Jesus Christ. I treasure You beyond all. I am not wealthy, but I am not poor. I am not as thankful as I should be, yet You shower good gifts upon me. Forgive my complacency. I have heard Your words. I will sing of Your ways.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment