Tuesday, September 10, 2019

not destined for wrath


For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:9-11

In Jesus, the wrath of God cannot be upon me in my sin. I am not destined for wrath, hell, or judgment. I will obtain a salvation that has me living with Jesus right now and for all eternity, covered with the righteousness of the Son of God! Because I am given the holiness of Christ, Who took upon Himself all my sin, I can be encouraged in His righteousness, not discouraged by my struggles with a sin nature that remains. The holiness of Christ is applied to me. I simply turn from sin in my penitent confession, and received the faithful and just forgiveness that cleanses me from all unrighteousness in Jesus!

The Thessalonian Christians, in some eschatological confusion were frightened that they may have to endure future judgment at the Day of the Lord. Paul assures them that at the coming of the Lord they would be with Jesus, not caught in judgment with the rest of the world. At His command, the dead in Christ will rise to be with Jesus. Those alive will also join these past saints in the clouds to always be with the Lord (1 Thessalonians 4:15-18). We cannot know when this day will come (1 Thessalonians 5:2), but it will be unexpected by the world. This is why Christians live expecting Jesus to call them to Him at any moment (1 Thessalonians 5:2-4).

Lord,
I am grateful that my destiny is to be forever with You, and at Your return, whether I am alive or dead in Christ, I will meet You in the air! I am encouraged!
Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment