Thursday, September 5, 2019

better intercessory prayer


Now may our God and Father himself, and our Lord Jesus, direct our way to you, and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.
1 Thessalonians 3:11-13

Reading the prayers of Paul, I am struck at the rather shallow thinking in my own prayers for other people. When I do manage to get my mind off of my own selfish requests, I often still pray selfishly for others. I pray for them so they might get along with me, or so that I might be happier with them, but I don’t know that I pray with depth if that is all the further I get in intercession.

Paul prayed for God to help the Thessalonian church grow in an overflowing love for each other. He prayed for God to establish them at the heart level (not just externals) in a commitment to blameless holiness so that gospel commitments would keep shining from the believers until Jesus returns. He knew Christianity was a heart matter. He prayed for Christ to rule and change hearts, not just give them good feelings or good things. He prayed for holiness and the Lordship of Christ to rule His church.

This is how I should pray for my own heart. This is how I should pray for my home. This is how I should prayer for my church. Pray deep! Pray for hearts filled with love for Christ, blameless in the pursuit of holiness, ready and eager to meet Jesus at His return!

No comments:

Post a Comment