Monday, May 8, 2023

Why I will fear the Lord


Who is the man who fears the LORD?
Him will he instruct in the way that he should choose.
Psalm 25:12

If I want to know which way to go, I must start in the fear of the Lord. I must value the steadfast love of God for me because all His paths are faithfulness (Psalm 25:10). I must seek God’s wisdom, obey His Word, love His commands, and trust Him above what my own heart screams and demands right now. The person who fears the Lord is given secured promises because God rewards humble faith well, for God is good and upright (Psalm 25:8). He can be nothing else. God wants to do a lot for me if I would just look only to Him. I believe this.

What will God instruct and teach me if only I would center my focus upon Him? 

He will grant me wisdom. And right now I crave His wisdom in what can sometimes feel like an overwhelming situation of baffling new choices. I will wait for the gift of His wisdom. He has promised to instruct me in the right way. He will lead me to the choices that will honor Him, conforming me more to Christ (I am so distant still), and helping me find true fulfillment in His provision for me.

He will help me to experience true well-being (Psalm 25:13a). I want, not just to exist, but to thrive. I want to rest in His care and presence no matter where I am in my life. I want to know His goodness is always for me, always supporting me, always growing me in a direction that will bring praise to the God I fear.

He will be my legacy (Psalm 25:13b). My life’s fruit, both physical and spiritual, will bear witness to an inheritance only God, through Christ, has given me. It is a wealth beyond description, and whatever I leave behind in this life, I wish to solely point to God as the great Giver.

He will be my friend (Psalm 25:14). This is the over-the-top reward of fearing God. Like a sneak attack kiss, it catches me off-guard in the text, but is the warmest part of the experience. We don’t fear God by being scared of God. Instead, we respect Him as our deepest friendship. I desire most to keep gaining an intimacy with the Almighty that leads me ever closer to my Lord. Jesus called His disciples “friends”, and this is always what I want to crave, to seek, to know. It is what my heart cries for most right now, even as other things want to confuse my affections. My life is certainly blessed with so many caring companions, so many people whom God has given to express His love for me. And since this year has begun, God has moved so many to care so much. But not one person among scores of people who love me can compare to my Eternal Friend Who gave Himself for me, the One Who reveals Himself in His Word and providential care (even now in the hardest providence I have ever known). O Lord God, always be my heart’s dearest love!

No comments:

Post a Comment