Tuesday, May 9, 2023

my heart’s desire


May he grant you your heart's desire
and fulfill all your plans!
Psalm 20:4

When we trust God… when we refuse to think like everyone else around us who would trust in worldly means and personal might, God will align our desires with His and grant us what our hearts want most. And no matter what season of life we may journey, we can trust in the Lord our God.

In Psalm 20 David as king over Israel refused to believe that military might alone would ever keep Israel safe. This is a big admission for a warrior king! But David was not one to trust in his war chariots and horses. He would trust in God because he knew that worldly power would collapse before the sovereign purposes of God. Israel’s only chance at standing safe and secure was to trust in the name of the Lord their God (Psalm 20:7-8). And only in that trust could plans be made!

O Lord,
You must be my trust, now and for always. My heart desires some things right now that seem so impossible. My plans, basically shattered, need to be reborn, infused with Your gracious love for me, in Your time. But as confusing as it is, I do confidently know this: Your purposes will guide me as I lean back into Your mighty arms. I refuse to trust in the chariots and horses around me. I will not take a whimsical, perhaps fatal, step away from Your Word and Spirit’s leading. I will instead soak my soul in scripture. I will seek Your wisdom over time. I will counsel only with Your people. I will seek wise perspective among my family in the Body of Christ. And I will wait for the wisdom that only You give to shape my desires so they may align solely with what is holy, focused sharply on Your kingdom, for I am convinced that only there will I be truly happy. May I come to see my desires easily granted Lord, not so that my wants can be appeased, but rather because I have been transformed to want what You want in my life and then to thrive as I find my satisfaction in You in the place You have lovingly positioned me for Your glory.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment