Monday, May 22, 2023

fearfully set apart


I praise you, for I am fearfully set apart.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
Psalm 139:14

This meditation fills my heart this Monday morning. A day most dreaded by those who live for the weekend, instead, in my thoughts right now, is a great day God has blessed me with to devote to His service. As I read this verse this morning, I was struck by the power and the beauty of the alternate translation provided by the ESV committee. Normally this verse reads: “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” And that is certainly true and deeply motivational. But the alternate translation of “fearfully set apart” compels me to think of my days ahead with renewed determination and direction.

To be “fearfully set apart” leans me to ponder my purpose. I, like any person on this planet, am a unique creation of God in whom He wishes to display His glory. He made me uniquely His. How could I be more special? I don’t think I can. God has set me apart as His, for His glory, to know Him and His love, for me to fear Him, respect Him, make Him known, and love Him in return. Just as in human relationships our hearts hope to hold that “special someone”, so God has already created each person to be set apart to that kind of love and relationship in the fullest in HIM! I am beloved of God. And it is His love that I need above all other affections. And His love will love others through me in a way that sets me apart to Him and allows Him to set apart others to His own love. It is quite a beautiful way to live, really.

Lord,
I am Yours. Take me to that special, fearfully wonderful, set apart place. Be my only affection as Your love pours over me today. I feel Your wonderful works all around me, in the early morning birdsong I hear, in the refreshing dewdrops on the grass, in the summer blue skies just now lighting up from the sunrise, and even in the power of any storm that comes to throw me into Your sheltering arms. I praise You for the fearful and wonderful way my life is RIGHT NOW! And I KNOW that You love Your children perfect and well! Thank You, Lord!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment