Friday, February 18, 2022

Good catch, Lord!


I was pushed hard, so that I was falling,
but the LORD helped me.
Psalm 118:13

I’ve had seasons where I can relate to the sentiment of this section of the 118th psalm. Life can press in hard. People can push you. People can seek your downfall. You can feel backed up to the edge of the abyss, and a look over your shoulder confirms a potential disaster. And still life presses in and pushes hard. In that moment God will rescue. He will catch you. He will help you.

Sometimes I get myself into this predicament, running full speed without spiritually refueling, cramming my week with activity while neglecting sabbath rest. Letting that busy kind of high fuel me while people press in and my personal problems go unaddressed. “I’ll get to them later”, I think. And then, before I know it, there is no where to go… I’m backed up on the cliff’s edge again and my feet are slipping.

When my heart turns to do my Helper, He never fails. He catches me in my failing fall and graciously enforces a time of resting in Him. He disciplines me to get my soul back into balance. And in the wisdom of His Word I see the beauty of walking with Him, not being busy AROUND God, but quietly, carefully, joyously walking WITH God.

Lord,
Once again I find my rest in You. You have caught me numerous times when life has pushed too hard, or I have pushed myself too hard. And when I’ve created that pressure by my own foolish, selfish ways, You have forgiven, disciplined in love, and renewed me. Thanks for Your loving arms that catch me when I fall. Teach me to rest, and walk with You!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment