Monday, February 7, 2022

worship & confession


For your steadfast love is great above the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
Let your glory be over all the earth!
Psalm 108:4-5

As I read David’s words here, I realize that I still have a lot to learn about worship. David praises God even in the midst of a painful experience with God. It appears from this psalm that some historic enemy was oppressing Israel and God was not giving His people help against the foes. David’s observation is that the nation’s sin had led to this situation. God would not go out with the armies when the nation was unrepentant.

And so this appeal to God comes urgently. It is praise and faith in the midst of sincere repentance. It clings to the promises of God even as it appeals to the mercies of God. It exalts God even as it humbles self in admission of guilt. David pleads for salvation as he confesses and acknowledges the consequences of sin.

I tend to overly simplify praise, removing confession of sin from it and seeing them as two separate acts. I tend to only confess when I feel bad, and then later praise God when I feel better. But this psalm unites both confession and praise and never loses its power. God is Israel’s only hope. God will deliver. God will save. God will defeat the foe. God is faithful. God is exalted higher than the highest heavens. God’s glory fills the earth.

And this God, in grace, forgives sinners. To those who confess, who believe, who trust, and who worship Him, God will bring His salvation. This was true for David. It is true for me. And so, aware of God’s steadfast love that reaches above the heavens where Jesus now sits at the right hand of the Father, I come acknowledging my own impotence and powerless against sin. I confess my need, my wrong, and trust my Savior’s power to save as my only hope! I praise Him that He hears, forgives, and provides victory over sin’s oppressive control! Be exalted, O God!

No comments:

Post a Comment