Wednesday, June 5, 2019

groaning


For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.
2 Corinthians 5:4

The longer we live, the more we will groan. This isn’t necessarily a groan of aches and pains, of arthritic joints and tight tendons, though I do know some of these! No, this is a groaning that longs for the affects of mortality to be gone, to know the joy of life everlasting fully realized with God the Father through the redemption of our bodies in Christ Jesus. It is an anticipation to be living that new, full life in Christ our Lord as our old tent goes down and new life in a redeemed body begins.

With maturity comes wisdom, and I deeply appreciate that. There are also certain physical challenges and changes along the way. We hurt in places we never knew we would feel pain. We may slow down. We may find trouble getting rest. We may be presented with physical limitations and diseases. We may struggle to follow our former pace. All of these are the expressions of groaning our bodies do in us. These experiences call us to long for and to appreciate the glory yet to come.

Lord Jesus,
I thank You that what is mortal in me, what has started to groan with creaking knees, stiff fingers, degenerating disks, straining eyesight, graying beard, and faith yearning for eternity is all going to one day be swallowed up in eternal life! I shall endure the humble deterioration of my “tent” until that day! I know that my Redeemer lives and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment