Thursday, June 13, 2019

something not God

Both we and our fathers have sinned;
we have committed iniquity; we have done wickedness.
Our fathers, when they were in Egypt,
did not consider your wondrous works;
they did not remember the abundance of your steadfast love,
but rebelled by the sea, at the Red Sea.
Psalm 106:6-7

Israel’s walk with God was a history of consistent failure. And if I am honest, in my fight against sin, I am no different. Israel quickly forgot God’s love and blessing when the people focused on their wants and problems. Again, this is also my tendency. I need the constant reminders of God’s faithfulness, human sinfulness, God’s correction, and loving provision as lives are transformed by His mercies in repentance and faith. And psalms like this one that recount a history of failure followed by grace that praises God keep me focused.

It is human nature to be overcome by our desires. The cycle of sin and failure begins when the lure of personal desire overtakes the worship of the Lord (see James 1:14-15 for all the gory details of just how this works... I find it so true of my heart). And when what I want drives my heart, I am worshiping something that is not God. So I should not be surprised that idolatry is a theme again and again in Psalm 106... it is sort of a theme also playing out in my life as well when I am honest about my affiliations! I want... I worship what I want or what I think will provide what I want... then I sin and ultimately fail as I find God visiting my idolatries with the consequences of fruitlessness, disappointment... or worse.

But God does wondrous redemptive work! God shows steadfast love. And in my repentance, I will turn from idols to serve the living God. I lay aside my lusting heart’s demands and instead I worship Jesus. I remember the abundance of His grace poured out on the cross and His power shining in an empty tomb. I marvel that He would forgive a sinner such as me. I reject my rebellion that seeks “something not God” and embrace His miraculous deliverance, so that Jesus is my Savior, my King, my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment