Tuesday, June 4, 2019

what the gospel is and isn’t


For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake.
2 Corinthians 4:5

The gospel isn’t about me. It isn’t about my wonderful testimony, or my great teaching, or my powerful proclamation, or my dramatically changed life. The gospel isn’t man-centered. It isn’t about me being a better person, or smarter, or more spiritual, or theologically sound, or able to make God happy by my changes and my efforts. The gospel is not about me.

The gospel is all about Jesus! It is about Jesus as Savior and only hope. It is about Jesus arriving on earth according to every Old Testament prophet’s vision proclaimed about Him, to live with us, to die for us, to be raised again to revive our condemned zombie souls! It is about Jesus as God in the flesh, miraculously transforming the lives of sinners He loves who come to Him by faith and are healed! It is about Jesus alone as our only Savior, with no shred of self-salvation or pride in our own merits. The gospel is about Jesus!

Who we are once Jesus saves us is our new gospel identity. We are servants of Jesus for the sake of the gospel. We love others with and in and because of the gospel. We identify as servants because the One Who came to serve and to give His life a ransom for many has saved us, called us to follow Him, and we can only humbly serve! Ministry then is about Jesus and not us. Life is about Jesus and not us! Purpose is about Jesus and His saving love and our gospel identity and not about the things we want, or do, or say. The gospel just isn’t about us... it is all about Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment