Monday, June 24, 2019

distributing freely

He has distributed freely; he has given to the poor;
his righteousness endures forever;
his horn is exalted in honor.
Psalm 112:9

I’ve learned the hard way that following the middle class herd in the American Dream is a path to bondage and frustration. 

Generosity is what pays. The dividends that return when we share with others far exceed the cost of what we gave. Kindness is satisfying and rewarding. The righteousness we show as Christ empowers generous lives endures long beyond the gifts we may give. We make an impact for eternity. I’m so into that vision!

Christ commissioned His apostles to preach the gospel accompanied by generous lives... “freely you have received, freely give” (Matthew 10:8). He wants the gospel to be accompanied by kindness shown to others in generous love. He wants His followers to share all that they have been blessed to share. He wants the blessing of giving to those in need to be known in the lives of His people as the gospel message is accompanied by truly good works. We will be blessed if we follow Jesus’ lead and give our lives to this vision with no reservations about it!

I will give of my life freely. I will sacrifice when needed. I will order my income, abilities, and resources around kingdom priorities and NOT the selfish appeal of the American Dream. I want the blessing of truly blessing other people to keep blessing me. I reject personal wealth creation as my vision for life. I run from frustrating debt, a lazy retirement scheme, and materialistic pressures. I seek to live with simplicity, kindness, and generosity as my companions for all my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment