Friday, December 14, 2018

so that we might live

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him.
1 John 4:9

“That’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.” Here we are just ten days away from when the big celebrations of Christmas 2018 will start. Christmas Eve is a big deal at my house, and usually busier than Christmas Day itself. And I see dozens of people in my own church pouring themselves into Christmas services and productions. This year my family will attend Christmas Eve Services in two different congregations just because that is what our lives are filled with. It will be reflective... and touching... and busy.

But stepping aside from the tinsel and gloss... the parties and food... the production and the pageantry, there is a deep gospel reality that keeps Christmas real for me. It tugs at my heart. It fills me. Christmas is about rejoicing in the fact that God sent His only Son into the world so that we might really know life in Him. I know life... I only have life... I only get what life is about in Jesus. I honestly have nothing else worth living for without Him. 

I have been blessed for years now with Sojourn Music’s simple, reflective “Advent Songs” album in my Christmas playlist. If it were vinyl, I would have worn it out by now. There have been so many loved ones I have lost in the past six or seven years, so much unexpected but important change in my own life, that the constant of Jesus is my mainstay. It isn’t all bad, but even good change is hard. And this song (sorry for the tacky graphics in the YouTube video, but just listen)  brings tears of thankfulness and agreement to my eyes... every time, even now:

Let every creature rise and bring
Their grateful praises to our King
Angels descend with songs again
And earth repeats a loud “Amen”

Amen, Amen
Amen, Amen
I found my life
I found my life in Him
Amen, Amen

Peace like a river from His throne
Will flow to nations yet unknown
His Word a light where all hope is dim
And all tribes unite to cry “Amen”

Amen, Amen
Amen, Amen
I found my life
I found my life in Him
Amen, Amen

And in this Child we’ll find our rest
And all the meek and lowly blessed
An infant tongue could sing the hymn
Of Hallelujah and Amen

Amen, Amen
Amen, Amen
I found my life
I found my life in Him
Amen, Amen

Amen, Amen by Sojourn Music

No comments:

Post a Comment