Monday, December 31, 2018

scripture’s value


More to be desired are they than gold,
even much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey
and drippings of the honeycomb.
Moreover, by them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.
Psalm 19:10-11

This section of the nineteenth psalm is all about the extreme value of the Word of God. Scripture is called law, testimonies, precepts, commandments, fear, and rules in Psalm 19:7-11. All these multi-faceted descriptions show us what God’s Word is. But scripture also produces personal impact. It revives the soul. It brings sure conviction. It makes one wise. It brings light to our ways. It is forever enduring and right.

Scripture impacts us personally as we meet our Savior’s love for us in its pages. It becomes our life value worthy of the investment of our time and resources. It is more desirable than the finest gold. It is more flavorable to us than the sweetest dessert. Reading, studying, applying, and living in God’s Word enriches us and brings us sweet joy. The best time of any day is the time I spend unrushed in the rich reading and reflection on the Bible.

There are finally two great personal impacts that come to us from centering our souls in God’s Word. The first is found in the word “warned”. Scripture warns us away from missteps and mistakes our hearts would make without God’s wisdom to guide our thinking and choices. Every regretful choice I have made has come from my own fear or selfishness. I’ve never regretted a scripturally informed decision, even when it was hard and had difficult consequences. Scriptural warning brings solid conviction and hope.

The second impact is called by the psalmist simply “great reward”. I look at what my life could be outside of Christ, the Living Word, and the wisdom of God’s Word, and I shudder.... I know I am most personally satisfied and rewarded in Jesus. I would be miserable without my Savior and His precious Word and Holy Spirit in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment