Friday, December 7, 2018

generous like Jesus


Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.
Hebrews 13:16

Do Christians have the reputation in their community of being people who do great good and give to others in a sacrificial way? Are we generous people, or are we known as insulated people who only give to our own causes? The exhortation here at the end of Hebrews is put in the middle of a list of calls to live like Jesus is better to us than all other things. People who know Jesus is better will live in a noticeably committed way. They will have the reputation of Jesus, Who did good, was extremely generous, and sacrificed for others.

It is the Christmas season, a time in which charities appeal for end of the year gifts. They count on this to survive and do their work. As a financial developer for a non-profit myself, I know that typically we will receive our largest gifts and our best season of giving in December. And I am very thankful that this occurs every year. It is brought about by necessary responses to a lot of factors, including taxation and the deductibility of charitable gifts. People who own their own business have to make these moves at the end of the year. I get it.

My point is certainly NOT to complain about it, but instead to check my own heart. I want to be a generous person, not because of tax breaks, but simply because Jesus is always generous. I have a lot of room still to grow in generosity. But my prayer is to be diligent to do good and to sacrificially share the blessings that God gives to me all year long. The goal is to live like Jesus is better than anything... because He is... even better than my money!

No comments:

Post a Comment