Friday, May 24, 2024

revival


Will you not revive us again,
that your people may rejoice in you?
Psalm 85:6

I am not a revivalist but I do believe my soul experiences revival. There are times when I need a renewed sense of purpose, mission, and praise-filled rejoicing. I don’t think such revival can be met superficially by manipulation though. God has to be the Great Reviver! He has to get my attention. He has to lead me through whatever has dimmed my affections in order for me to return to a new zeal. Sometimes life itself gets really hard and God revives me in my weariness. There is a revival that is primarily spiritual, but also emotional and sometimes physical.

In those seasons of difficulty it is not at all wrong to 1) recognize the state of my soul’s dryness and 2) pray for God to do the reviving my soul needs. That is what the sons of Korah direct the congregation to do in this psalm. They pray to receive revived souls. They ask God to do the reviving. It is a song then of repentance, restoration, and a request for revival. It is not manufactured. It is not worked up. It is clearly manifested by God’s work in them exclusively. If God does not do the reviving there can be no revival!

O Lord,
God of restoration: You have restored in me what has been lost and broken. God of renewal: You have made all things new right now. God of revival: You have brought new life to my weary and worn soul! Thank You! May I continue to rejoice in You, my Great Reviver!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment