Thursday, May 2, 2024

3 parts to restoration


Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Now I will restore the fortunes of Jacob and have mercy on the whole house of Israel, and I will be jealous for my holy name.
Ezekiel 39:25

Three things from this verse grab my attention as I contemplate how God restores what gets broken. They help me appreciate my own experience of His restorative work within me.

1. MOMENT. God declares that He restores “NOW”. It is present in its timing. It is in this moment. It is always on God’s heart to see restoration happen… God took the initiative in sending His Son to redeem and restore us so that always… NOW is the time of salvation. God presently and always works to restore our brokenness as we come to Him for hope and healing.

2. MERCY. God did not have to redeem and restore. In the case of sinful Israel, they deserved judgment for defiling the covenant. But in mercy He restored them to Himself. In mercy God saves us in Christ. In mercy He restores lost and broken parts of our lives.

3. MOTIVE. God’s motive for restoring us isn’t just feeling sorry for us. It isn’t pity. It is MUCH higher. He is jealous for His name’s sake. He restores because He is a loving, holy, and perfect God. He gets the glory in the new good that He brings. We do nothing except believe and receive His merciful work.

No comments:

Post a Comment