Friday, March 11, 2022

loving gospel community


It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel.
Philippians 1:7

Shared Christian community, especially in suffering, creates intense loving companionship around the gospel. That is why Paul could confidently trust that God was still doing good things both in his ministry, and in the lives of the Philippian believers in whom He had begun His good work. Professional ministry detachment isn’t biblical! It wasn’t a thing for Paul. The opposite, in fact, was the result of authentic ministry: a deep affection for those who experience mutual ministry.

What a tender truth for Paul to write to his friends… “I hold you in my heart.” That is deep discipleship. When those who serve Christ together can say that of one another, the answer to Jesus’ own prayer in John 17 is revealed. We are one as Christ is one with the Father. Never should a community of believers be afraid to say “I hold you in my heart”.

I’m nearly 35 years into church ministry as my occupation and life. And over three and a half decades of gospel community, there have been SO MANY people God has made dear to my heart. Some of my most prized possessions are found in boxes of cards and letters sent to me by those encouraging saints Jesus has called me alongside! I partake of grace with them both in difficulties and in the delights of life. Many times their words have kept me going or lifted me from depression. There is no experience more moving than this. Some of those friends are now with Jesus. All of them are amazing stories of the grace of Christ. And this sense of loving community keeps confirming the gospel and assuring me this is a life well spent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment