Monday, March 7, 2022

blameless today


May my heart be blameless in your statutes,
that I may not be put to shame!
Psalm 119:80

God’s Word will show me what I need to be. That was the prayer here in this verse. God’s Word shows me a holy God. And it calls me to be holy like He is holy. The longing in this prayer here is to be blameless before God, to keep His statutes and to be without shame before a holy God.

But ever since Adam and Even chose to disobey just one command God gave to them, the human race lacks the ability to be blameless without His intervening grace. As much as I want to be holy, my sinful self keeps me far from it in thought, in attitudes, and in my behavior. I need His Word to show me His ways. But I can only live in those ways as God changes me to do so.

Thankfully, that is what the gospel is all about. In Jesus, I can be changed! In Jesus, my heart is directed to holiness, not on the basis of my own righteousness, but in the perfect life of Jesus Himself. I am cleansed from sin, declared holy by Jesus’ death, raised to walk a new life in His resurrection, and led to do so by the Word of God, convicted, assured, and empowered by the Holy Spirit of God.

Lord,
May I not be put to shame today. I want to live in Christ. I confess I am still seeing sin as sinful as Your Word shows me Your higher ways. I am thankful that Christ’s righteousness allows me to be now forgiven by the Father, empowered by the Spirit, to live following the Son of God. Jesus, You have made my heart blameless in You. And I will look to You, my Master, to show me Your ways today!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment