Wednesday, March 16, 2022

investing for eternity


Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me.
Philippians 2:17-18

Investing life in disciple making is a life well spent. It is worth it. Investments in people are eternal. Investing together while obeying and understanding the Word of God lasts forever. It is the only way to ensure that what you do and who are always continues. And even though the investment here and now may involve some sacrifice, the reward are definitely worth it. We should rejoice in the impact that serving, loving, and worshiping Christ together has for eternity.

When I wasn’t quite yet 20 years old, I was challenged with this statement: “You will never regret truly serving someone like Jesus did.” Given that Paul has already reminded the Philippian Church to love one another humbly with the servant’s mind of Jesus (Philippians 2:3-4), it would make sense for him to illustrate that from their own experiences. One very real outcome was his current satisfaction. He was in prison for the gospel, yet the gospel thrived in Philippi and every church Paul reached. And other believers also rejoiced in Jesus. So Paul was happy too because his sacrifice was paying huge dividends forever. It was thus no longer a sacrifice!

Lord,
Whatever You call me to do today, You call me to invest in people… people who have eternal destinies and eternal impact in their own relationships. And that impact does indeed last forever. Give me the long view as I serve You. I rejoice that I too can be happy with that perspective.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment