Tuesday, March 22, 2022

digging deep


“Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?”
Luke 6:46

And with this penetrating question Jesus pushes into the closing application of His most famous sermon. To live by His kingdom rules requires the mind of a true disciple. It means that His work changes us at the heart level, so that new fruit is produced in what we say and do (Luke 6:43-45). And Jesus, as our Lord, fully expects to see us live differently. If I claim Jesus’ Lordship then I MUST live under and by His rule!

The result is a strong life that bears witness to the control and love of my Master. I must dig down deep, with the foundation of life in Christ deeply built on a solid rock foundation of believing and living by His teaching (Luke 6:47-49). And such a life will withstand the floods around me. Let the rains come. Let the wind blow. Let the waters rise. My life, built upon Christ lasts forever. Not even death destroys this soul.

But Jesus warns against mere lip service. I must hear His words AND do them. Failure to do them is not digging deep. It may look acceptable to others, but there is no foundation. And such a life is built to fail miserably. Jesus says that without His proper foundation based on both hearing and doing, a ruinous fall is immediate. Only taking Jesus in all seriousness prevents such collapse. As Lord, Jesus brings all I need to be a successful exhibit of His transforming grace. And so to call Him Lord means I must do what He says.

Lord Jesus,
It is worth it to dig deep. And on the foundation of knowing You, believing You, hearing You, and obeying You, I have a life that can withstand it all. Thanks for the warning and the call to follow You well.
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment