Wednesday, March 6, 2024

This is the promise.


And this is the promise that he made to us—eternal life.
1 John 2:25

With the words of this one verse I pin all my future hope forever.

And this is the promise… God has made a promise. The God Who from the opening pages of holy scripture reveals Himself, makes His promises to us, faithfully keeps ALL His promises, will continue to do so in Christ. These are not just mere words. These words constitute a promise from a covenant-making, promise-keeping God.

…that he made… This promise is unilateral. It is not that we had any part in making it. We can add nothing to this redemptive promise. God made it in Christ. Jesus did all the work of our redemption. God provided all the means and method of our salvation. I bring nothing of my own merit to receive this gift. It is all Christ’s work. He made the promise. He keeps the promise. He is the promise. 

..to us… Believers in Jesus receive this promise. A unique gift from God is given only to those who believe Jesus. God reaches out to us. And we possess this promise from God right here… right now.

… eternal life… Wow! The promise that we now possess, that is given by God, secured by Christ, given to us… this promise will last forever! We will live forever in Jesus. We pass from death to life in Jesus. We possess the guarantee of life forever in Jesus. The gift we need the most in a world of brokenness, death, and destruction is eternal life. And this is exactly what God gives us now in Jesus.

Lord,
I rejoice right now as I hold the promise You have made to me — eternal life. I believe it for those I have loved who have died, but yet who by faith in Jesus now possess eternal life. I can see them safe with You, Lord Jesus, as Your promise is reality. I hold to the hope of this promise for the people I love in life as well… that in the death and resurrection of Jesus sins are forgiven and eternal life is offered to them. Oh, that they believe and trust Your promise with me! I claim this promise as my real future, trusting You, keeper of all Your promises, entrusting You with the fact of my eternal salvation. I hold onto Your promise of eternal life… holding all my hope and all my best in Jesus!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment