Wednesday, March 13, 2024

distinguished Christian living

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him.
1 John 5:1

I see five distinguishing characteristics of a true Christian in the first five verses of the fifth chapter of 1 John. As I reflect upon them I know these five things set the course of how I approach my life. In fact, they are what my life as a Christian is all about.

1. I believe Jesus is “the Christ” (1 John 5:1a). There is a lot in that Messianic title “the Christ”. It means Jesus is exclusively God, Savior, Lord, and Deliverer. He is the One promised to save us, sent by God, prophesied of old, anointed by God the Father, …the only means of eternal salvation is faith in the gospel of His death and resurrection. He is Lord over ALL my life.

2. I love the Father (1 John 5:1b). God is my Father. Faith in Christ provides a new relationship with God as my Father. I am in God’s family. He loves me. I love God.

3. I love the people of God (1 John 5:1c-2). Jesus is my Lord, God is my Father, and Christians are my family. I live my life tightly in those concentric circles. I learn to love the people God is saving by Jesus. Yes, like me, they are highly flawed at times and they are broken by sin and suffering. They are however always my brothers and sisters and I cannot reject them, hate them, or ignore them if I truly believe Jesus and love God.

4. I keep the commands of God (1 John 5:2-3). I keep them because I believe… because I love God. And I keep them in the community of believers, encouraging them to do the same. This is not a drudgery. It is a delight to love God’s Word and obey its truth by faith in Christ.

5. I will overcome the world (1 John 5:4-5). By faith in Jesus Christ, by loving the Father, by living in Christian love and community, and by obeying the Word of God with the Spirit’s enablement, I can overcome the sinful inertia of a broken world. I can be different. I can have true life beyond just an average existence. I have my feet on the earth and my eyes toward heaven. I see the need for Jesus in my world and I fix my heart on Jesus looking beyond this world. The life Jesus gives me is greater and always wins as I believe in Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment