Thursday, March 28, 2024

God remembers.


Remember the word that you commanded your servant Moses…
Nehemiah 1:8a

Often when I think of remembering the Word of God, that thought is directed to myself as a reminder to remember. I must regularly remember and trust God’s Word. I must commit it to memory, filling my mind with scriptural truth, and recalling its importance and application. That is certainly something Christians should do.

But the way in which this prayer of Nehemiah’s talks about remembering God’s Word is completely different in focus. It is a prayer of trust in a faithful God. Nehemiah calls upon God to remember ALL of the covenant with Israel. He acknowledges Israel’s past sins and knows those sins were the reason the nation went into exile. Yet God also promised to return those who returned to Him. That time had come. The call to return to Jerusalem and rebuild the walls was proceeded by God remembering His covenant with His people.

This is now Passion Week as I write these words. Tomorrow will be Good Friday. As I have thought upon and will continue to reflect on Christ’s death and resurrection, I remember God’s promise of salvation. I claim it. But in Christ, God the Father also “remembers” me. He sees me through His Son’s sacrifice and I am now by faith in Christ alone clothed in the righteousness of Christ. Jesus brought about a new covenant in His blood that God remembers fully. Thank God He remembers!

No comments:

Post a Comment