Tuesday, November 14, 2023

great God


For I know that the LORD is great,
and that our Lord is above all gods.
Whatever the LORD pleases, he does,
in heaven and on earth,
in the seas and all deeps.
Psalm 135:5-6

I too know the greatness of God. He has constantly and without fail shown Himself consistently great and powerful in the circumstances of my life. All I am right now, all I experience, all that has changed, all that is new, all that is no longer mine, all that is now mine, all that is different, all that is the same… all of that is the work of a great God! The world of humanity is chaotic. Because humans fail at sovereignty, what we do is naturally out of control and filled with dangers. False gods are worshiped non-stop and promoted as true… gods such as self-rule, materialism, naturalism, scientism, politics, wealth, fame, even the very earth itself is now a god. Basically any form of physicality that we can take in with our senses we will falsely worship instead of God.

But God will still prove Himself superior over what our souls want to worship more than Him. He always does as He pleases in perfect holiness and justice. He will make Himself known as sovereign not only in His throne room, but in earth, which is His footstool. No wave rolls over us outside His command. No earthquake shakes in the deep that has not been stirred by His voice. He will show both His power, and in the gospel, His grace to this world intent on worshipping everything else BUT Him. God will be known, even as He is rejected.

Great God,
I bow before You this morning. I am aware of Your greatness, Your power, Your control, and Your might. And where my soul gets sucked into sinful worship of false gods, correct me, my King! Show Your power and urge me to repentance so that I too will worship only You. Let nothing I love get in the way of my love for You! May I be one in whom You do as You please!

Whatever I face today will be from Your sovereign and grace-filled hands. May Your mercies rain down from heaven upon my world. May this earth know the saving work of Jesus. May people surrender to Your Lordship and worship the God of heaven, earth, the seas, and the deeps!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment