Tuesday, November 21, 2023

wasteland no more


Instead of the thorn shall come up the cypress;
instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle;
and it shall make a name for the LORD,
an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.
Isaiah 55:13

I felt the heat
gritty sand at my feet
hot blast in my face
of moisture not a trace
I staggered through the thorns
hands and feet sore and torn
the wilderness I knew
felt abandoned, Lord, by You

The empty dunes stretched for miles
I’d forgotten all the past smiles
distance magnified by my pain and sin
desert blast of burning wind
dry brush and weeds all scattered
staying alive was all that mattered

Wandering further, drifting away
I tried to reach out — tried to pray
Words fell empty to the sand
desperately needing Your saving hand

Reduced by wasteland to my bones
I cried out for You to lead me back home

And then one drop of rain fell
and showers watered that dry personal hell
until verdant flowers and leaves appeared
and once again my Lord came near

Thorns replaced by river cypress
briers broken, washed into that old mess
Your vibrant Word watered it all
into a woodland shady and tall
and as this fragrant garden grew
I saw it all renewed by You

I felt Your Word reshape this husk of a soul
I know Your Spirit has made me whole
cool breeze of heaven in the air
calls me by faith to see Jesus here
wasteland eclipsed by new creation
I am in awe of this grace-filled situation
everlasting sign from my Father above
I praise the Lord of renewing, saving love!

No comments:

Post a Comment