Tuesday, November 7, 2023

talking back to fear


Fear not, nor be afraid;
have I not told you from of old and declared it?
And you are my witnesses!
Is there a God besides me?
There is no Rock; I know not any.
Isaiah 44:8

Once again I see comfort in the command to “fear not”. I look around my personal position and I see a remarkable peace that only God has brought. I can trust God although every morning, waking up still somewhat disoriented and alone, I see Him working in this different experience that has been this strange and unsettling year of 2023. Even as the year winds to a close, I am in such a better place! I trust God’s wisdom, His ways, His certainty that all have stayed the same… well… actually… that certainty has GROWN as the landscape of my life has become increasingly new and unfamiliar. Yet I do not need to fear.

I am indebted to biblical counselor Ed Welch for his insights into fear and peace. In his book, “Running Scared”, Welch talks about how fear always has a voice… is always talking in some degree. It says things to us… initially to make us stop and think… but inevitably that voice can get twisted, loud, and harmful. And then sinful fear speaks lies to us… lies that can turn us from God and His truth. God in His grace has led me to reject the worst lies that fear had gripped me with. I’ve been called to repent from:
  • “You are alone.” No. I may have new solo life challenges, but with Christ I am never alone.
  • “Nobody really cares or notices you.” No. I am living in Christian community and in a family, surrounded everywhere I look by people who love me.
  • “You will never feel happy again.” No. I can choose joy despite loss and find contentment in my present situation. My life has a bright future because the joy of the Lord is my strength.
  • “It is just one dreary day after another.” No. There may be seasons, or days, where grief is more intense. That is to be expected. But even storms are under God’s control, and rains replenish the earth. I will let this season draw my heart to God’s heart and reject the notion that a few clouds ruin my life.
  • “This confusing time will never end.” No. This is just a season… and even now I see new light dawning as God teaches me, brings new things and experiences and people into this life. God loves me and is building new life from my old life, revitalizing my hope!
So I say to my soul: “Fear not. Do not be afraid. God has declared His love for me in Christ. I am witnessing His renewing work beyond my loss and my confusion. No one is like Him. His work in me RIGHT NOW is good! There is no Rock like my God!”


No comments:

Post a Comment