Friday, April 9, 2021

my great Savior


Gracious is the LORD, and righteous;
our God is merciful.
The LORD preserves the simple;
when I was brought low, he saved me.
Psalm 116:5-6

Jesus my Savior has done these four things for me. First, He is the grace of God upon me, showering me with the unmerited favor of God’s love. I did not earn His grace. I am by nature a lowly sinner who was born the enemy of God. I deserve condemnation for all my sin. My sins deserve to be cast away from the presence of a holy God. But grace forgives the sinner and even more than that, draws me near to the Father by the work of the Son.

Next, my Savior is righteous. In Jesus I see all that is good. And I have been blessed by His Word to read His life, seeing His righteousness over and over again in the gospels. And by His death and resurrection that same righteousness is now applied to me. I can be seen as good and can live in the righteous work of Jesus Christ.

Thirdly, my Savior is merciful to me. By giving Himself to me, Jesus does not treat me as my sins deserve. He gives me abundant life instead. He brings me eternal life. He teaches me to be merciful as He is merciful so that I too can be not just forgiven in Him, but also a forgiver to those who hurt me. This frees me from both regret and bitterness. This mercy overflows!

And finally, my Savior preserves me. I am kept, not by my works, which always fall short, but by the power of Jesus, which never fails! He Who began this saving work in me will be faithful to complete it in me. He will always be faithful to me, even when my heart struggles to believe Him. I rest secure in my gracious, righteous, merciful, and powerful Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment