Tuesday, April 20, 2021

foundation and security


And he said to Judah, “Let us build these cities and surround them with walls and towers, gates and bars. The land is still ours, because we have sought the LORD our God. We have sought him, and he has given us peace on every side.” So they built and prospered.
2 Chronicles 14:7

God is gracious in blessing the lives of those who will be faithful to Him in love, worship, and obedience. The story of king Asa in Judah shows this. Asa came along early in the history of the divided kingdoms of Judah and Israel. Rehoboam, his grandfather, started his rule well, but eventually turned from wholeheartedly worshiping the Lord. God brought judgment as the Egyptian army plundered Jerusalem, stealing treasures from the temple and the king’s palace. 

Asa’s father was Abijah , a king who restored Judah’s military power, but a man who seemed more concerned about establishing control by force than promoting spiritual concerns. Abijah was sort of neutral, giving credit to God, but not really particularly enthusiastic in worship.

But it was Asa who knew that God would bless His people in His worship. Asa purged Judah of her fixation with idols. He issued royal proclamations commanding the worship of Yahweh and the priority of keeping God’s Law. The result of this was a consistent peace during his reign. The defenses of Judah’s cities and towns were bolstered. The army grew stronger. God protected them from all threats.

The foundation for my security is learned from stories like this one. My security CANNOT come from my own attempts or efforts. It doesn’t arise from any of my own work alone. The strong foundation of my life has to be the faith in the God Who has rescued me in Jesus. He saved me by Christ alone and not by any of my own efforts. He builds me in Christ so that I can then obey and build on Him. Jesus secures my hope. And on that I may trust and build, by faith, the life He gives to me in order to display His power, grace, and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment