Monday, April 5, 2021

warmth by His fire


When they got out on land, they saw a charcoal fire in place, with fish laid out on it, and bread. Jesus said to them, “Bring some of the fish that you have just caught.”
John 21:9-10

This is a resurrection appearance of Jesus that just feels so natural, so real, to me. The disciples have been toying with returning to their former occupations. Peter leads a group of them off to go fishing. They have been out all night and caught nothing... it was a miserable failure that added to their frustration. It was beyond disappointing.

But then a stranger at dawn shouts out encouragement and fishing advice from the shoreline, telling them to cast their net one more time on the right side of the boat. And when the net is filled with fish, they knew at once that this helpful stranger was Jesus! Peter impulsively dives into the lake and swims to shore. There he finds Jesus, and a breakfast of fish and bread ready on the fire where he can warm himself. The last time Peter had stood by a fire hew was in denial of Christ. Now he has come back to be in fellowship with His Lord once again.

The closeness of this encounter with Jesus is compelling. Jesus cooked breakfast for these disciples. And then, after breakfast, He took a walk with Peter along the lake shore, calling Him back to love and follow the Master again. He affirmed Peter despite his three denials. And none of the disciples ever questioned their calling after this encounter. This was Peter’s last brief fishing trip.

Jesus,
You call me, even when my actions deny You... even when my heart is wooed back to the world... even when I think I have to make my own choices without You... You call me to follow You. And You love me, provide for me, and long to walk with me and press me with the hard questions that make me see only You! You bring Your disciples to share life in You and with You in the most natural and meaningful ways. And that is the life that I need, and will enjoy... forever!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment