Wednesday, December 2, 2020

wisdom personified


I have counsel and sound wisdom;
I have insight; I have strength.
By me kings reign,
and rulers decree what is just;
by me princes rule,
and nobles, all who govern justly.
I love those who love me,
and those who seek me diligently find me.
Proverbs 8:14-17

Wisdom makes her appeal to all who would seek to join her side and learn, by her wisdom, to live well. I’ve been reading the book of Proverbs at least once per year for over four decades now. It spoke to the needs of my life as a teenager. It speaks to me now, a member of the generation now frequently targeted with AARP membership appeals! In fact, I would say that seeking wisdom now is more important than ever.

No year of my life has been more humbling of my trust in my own abilities than 2020. It seems to me that this time of complete disruption at every level has shredded any trust in my own faculties for decisions and direction. Worldwide deadly pandemic? I need wisdom to stay healthy. Shifting directives from authorities in my county, state, and nation? I need wisdom to understand the chaos. Cultural upheaval over racial injustice? I need wisdom to demonstrate Christ’s love for ALL people. Complete political chaos that smells like I live in a Banana Republic and not the United States of America? I need wisdom to trust that God will direct our governing authorities despite their divisiveness and what looks like utter constitutional disregard. A church divided over best health practices, responses to racial tensions, and political ugliness? Oh how I need Lady Wisdom to take me by the hand and speak her truth to me and to the believers to whom I am called... now more than ever!

Lord God,
I thank You that You grant wisdom to those who seek her diligently! And I humbly admit I have no resources either from my culture or from within myself to navigate this current mess. I always need Your wisdom. And Jesus, in You are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Colossians 2:3). I will trust in You, Jesus. I will seek Your wisdom in Your Word. I will wait for Your Spirit’s guidance. I will find peace in Your gracious gift of wisdom!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment