Tuesday, December 15, 2020

mortality reality check


The memory of the righteous is a blessing,
but the name of the wicked will rot.
Proverbs 10:7

Mortality has been a huge consideration in 2020. In less than one year, the US has seen three hundred thousand men and women die from COVID-19. That is more than we lost in the four years of World War II. Right now nearly three thousand are dying each die from this pandemic. We are experiencing a 9/11 event every single day in America. So of course I am finding myself wrestling with thoughts of mortality and legacy. Any person with this realization has to be processing this grimly. Death is real. Life is uncertain.

This proverb provides perspective as we are called to simultaneously grieve, yet trust in God. What legacies will we celebrate? The memory of a righteous person will bless those who see and rejoice in their faith. But a wicked life just rots away like the buried body. What God does in us is what determines the difference between blessing or burial.

So as I think about this, one desire pushes me forward. I want to bless people now, by any means necessary, and when I am gone one day, I want God’s blessing to come to those who have truly known me. I can only hope to do this by letting them know how much Jesus wants to be their strength and comfort as He is mine! I can only see God bless in this way by His great mercies. Only Jesus can be my great Blesser, so that He can form me so God’s love will flow to others. That is my hope in these grim days that are filled with reminders to grieve and to trust... to remember God’s work that is a blessing and to bless others.

No comments:

Post a Comment