Thursday, December 10, 2020

Jesus over all


And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent.
Colossians 1:18

Jesus rules first over all things. Jesus is the head of His church. Human history has tried to place popes, bishops, pastors, or personalities as the major players in the church’s advance, but that is just human pride. We are pawns. Jesus moves His pieces. The real leader of the Christian church is Jesus. He is the head... we are the body. Jesus controls where His church is going and what we are doing and how we should worship Him. No council of theologians.... no human government... no individualistic consumer preference overrides His leadership of His church!

Jesus is the beginning. No one can come to God the Father except by His Son. He is the only way to begin a true relationship with God. He was there at our creation. His heart was broken by our sin. He chose to give His life through the cross according to the will of the Father as led by the Spirit to begin our beautiful redemption!

Jesus is our renewer and the only hope for our future. He is the firstborn from the dead by virtue of His resurrection. A vaccine MIGHT buy us time in a raging pandemic. But only Jesus gives eternal life that never ends! He is the ruler over death, the defeater of Hell, and our eternal securer of abundant, everlasting life!

Jesus stands first over all things. And He must stand first over my heart so that other things in my life are ruled by one affection only: I want Jesus over everything!

Riches I heed not, nor vain, empty praise
Thou mine inheritance, now and always;
Thou and thou only first in my heart.
High King of heaven, my treasure thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won.
May I reach heaven’s joys, O bright heaven’s Son!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall.
Still be my vision, O Ruler of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment