Wednesday, December 23, 2020

the beauty of God


But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.
Psalm 86:15

Thinking carefully and deliberately on what this verse describes as the character of God, I cannot help but worship now. What is true about God in this psalm is true for me right now. 

God is merciful. He forgives sinners. He provided not only the mercy to truly forgive us, but always has provided the means for us to receive that great mercy. That is known through Jesus’ birth, life, death, resurrection, ascension, and coming again to rule our hearts and lives. I am in awe of the much needed mercy of God.

God is gracious. Mercy spares us the punishment our sins deserve, but grace lavishes gifts on us purely from the extravagant love of God’s heart for us. There are daily graces that I know. And even in what has felt like the worst of times in 2020, God’s grace truly keeps me. I am thankful... quite deeply thankful.... for the grace of God.

God is slow to anger. This facet of His mercy gives me time to be convicted by His Spirit, instructed by His Word, moved to repentance by my conscience, all so that I might confess sin, trust the grace of the gospel, repent, believe and find God’s smile on me. God now views me through the redemption provided in the blood of Jesus. I’m quick to rejoice in God’s longsuffering forbearance.

God abounds in steadfast love. His grace is faithful. His heart is for me because He sees me in Christ by the merits of His Son. And that faithful, constant love never leaves me. I may stray. God NEVER loses sight of me or ceases to care for me.

God is always faithful. For half a century now God has been the consistent, unchanging, constant Lord of my life. He has remained faithful to me, even when I have not felt or acted faithfully. And I will trust Him, believe Him, follow my Savior, and worship my God as long as I have breath. And in the day He takes me to the eternal home that Jesus has prepared for me, it will be because He was faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment