Tuesday, December 29, 2020

confidence in my shepherd


And I will set up over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he shall feed them: he shall feed them and be their shepherd.
Ezekiel 34:23

And in the person of Jesus, God set up a Davidic shepherd while simultaneously being the shepherd of His people (this settles the tension found in Ezekiel 24:15). This is the only way both the divine and the human could deliver and lead Israel. Jesus Himself came to be the Good Shepherd to give His life for His sheep (John 10:11-18). Without any doubt the prophecy here points to Jesus Who is both Lamb of God and the Good Shepherd.

Thinking through some of this, I am amazed and humbled. First, I am amazed that the theological complexity of the Incarnation... of God becoming human... of the uniqueness of Jesus as God-Man and Messiah... is so apparent in this prophecy. The only way for God to both be the Shepherd and also to appoint His Davidic shepherd is for the birth of Jesus to take place. God announced His invasion plan to deliver us many centuries before Jesus arrived! 

And I am humbled. I am humbled because this happened to deliver me, a helpless and deliberate sinner.

So I pause for some post-advent praise. This Christmas season in particular has been nearly a blur, with a sense of sadness and longing hanging over it. So much dizzying change is still churning in this messy, pandemic obsessed world and all the aftermath of 2020. Nothing feels certain... except... faith in Christ! That has been unchanging. The reality of the birth, life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus keep things in proper perspective. I’ve known people sickened by this virus. I’ve lost friends, family, and people I’ve known this year.... some to COVID, some to other events. I’ve sensed death circling my periphery like never before this past year. But a quick look to a prophet shows me this morning that the hope of Israel is here! Jesus is my hope and security now! The Good Shepherd confidently carries me and I am secure. Jesus will feed me. Jesus will keep me. Jesus will be my shepherd!

No comments:

Post a Comment