Wednesday, March 18, 2020

peaceful union with Christ


I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.
John 17:23

There is a lot to be tempted to worry about right now: The worldwide chaos brought on by an incurable viral pandemic... An equally viral economy in a historic free fall fueled by the uncertainty... An indeterminate quarantine and potential loneliness building up. Yeah... there is a lot to be tempted to worry about. But God’s love is not on that list.

In this prayer, Jesus is praying for those who will believe in Him (John 17:20)... that’s right, if you are a believer in Jesus, He prayed this prayer for you... right now... in this moment. And Jesus wants His followers to know the joy of being in relationship with Him and with the Father, and through Him, with one another. Union with Christ should be our great, constant hope and joy! We always have Jesus! We always have God’s love! We always have Christian community! Nothing can separate us from Him (see Romans 8:38-39)... not even death.

No chaos then can take me from Jesus. No virus can separate me from His love. No economic downturn will remove His riches and care from me. I am never alone because He has promised to be with His people always (Matthew 28:20). I am in Christ, in God’s love and care... forever. Nothing changes that! I am “found in Him”. I am “in Christ”. Christ is my life. What then is there to truly worry about?

No comments:

Post a Comment