Friday, March 27, 2020

He Who orders the stars


Do you know the ordinances of the heavens?
Can you establish their rule on the earth?
Job 38:33

At the end of Job’s painful conversations with friends that are no comfort to him in his loss and suffering, God shows up. God is with Job, but He does not offer to answer why Job is suffering. God instead peppers Job with questions (41 in the first round of the conversation by my count). It’s like a pop-quiz turned into a semester final exam on overdrive! God particularly focuses His questions on the subject of the wildness of the universe and what Job has control over in his world.

Of course, Job can see that God is in control. Job cannot make the stars shine where he wants them too in the night sky. He cannot control the daily weather. He cannot compare His power to God’s power in any possible fashion. They are worlds apart.

All of God’s questions lead Job to one conclusion: God is in control of it all. He Who hung the stars through the universe also controls the details of my human existence. Humans must submit to that understanding, which is very complicated and hard (like almost everything becomes difficult) when we are suffering.

So today, I will look to One much greater, much wiser than myself. God is in control. And Christ has suffered for me, knowing death on the cross so that I might know life in Him. The stars proclaim His control, beauty, design, and wisdom. I will be content that God orders them... and me... for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment