Wednesday, February 12, 2020

hear and follow

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.
John 10:27-28

Jesus makes a bold claim for all who follow Him. They do so in relationship, not religion. They hear and recognize His voice. He knows them. They follow the One they know. And He, as only God can, gives them eternal life as they are securely now in relationship with Him. This is the inviting relationship of the Christian life. Again... it isn’t rote religion, but rather real and intimate relationship.

Of course the reward of eternal life in and with Jesus is amazing. It is a thrilling future that awaits the follower of Christ. But it is equally exciting to hear Him (by the steady intake of the Word of God), to know Him (in Christian growth and experience), and to follow Him (by choosing to live by the teaching and leadership He gives by the truth of scripture and the guidance of the Holy Spirit). 

So Lord,
I am a sheep listening for Your voice today. You know me. You love me. I will follow You. And my future is secure in that faith and relationship.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment