Thursday, February 27, 2020

have mercy


And have mercy on those who doubt...
Jude 22

I have to confess that my attitude toward those outside of Christianity who have expressed their doubts has often been less than merciful. That is in direct disobedience to this command. I sin when I self-righteously judge those outside of Christian faith with my sanctimony. God forgive me! I need to love sinners like Jesus loves sinners.

I believe having such mercy in no way excuses sin. And it does not cheapen the gospel to help a sinner wrestling with doubts. It is instead a loving way to show how much you love Jesus and value faith in Him. Show some mercy because that is what God does. He rains down common grace with each breath a sinner takes, giving them the chance for the gospel to snatch them from judgment (see Jude 23).

Lord,
Help me to be merciful as You are merciful. I want the blessing of receiving Your mercy as I live with mercy and in Your mercy toward others (Matthew 5:7). You are merciful, my God. It falls on me daily. I found mercy in Christ when I confessed my sin, trusted in the salvation work of Jesus, and was eternally forgiven. And now, may I have mercy.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment