Monday, January 27, 2020

vigilantly guarding the truth

My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and who give lying divinations. They shall not be in the council of my people, nor be enrolled in the register of the house of Israel, nor shall they enter the land of Israel. And you shall know that I am the Lord God.
Ezekiel 13:9

God will guard the truth. The harsh words that the Lord has in this tirade against false prophets has carried forward in all of scripture. This is not exceptional, it is the standard. God will not allow human lies to continue in the guise of His Word. False prophets will all be judged harshly.

In my morning reading, I’ve also been looking at 2 Peter. And there the apostle Peter is equally harsh on heresy, echoing in his words the way that God will treat false prophets (see 2 Peter 2:1-22). Peter lumps the fate of those who lie in the name of Jesus with those who perished in Noah’s flood (evidently there was false prophecy even then), the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah (cultural false prophecy) that were reduced to ash, and angels who sinned and were locked in chains in hell (they rebelled under the lies of Lucifer in the first original disbelief of God’s Word). God takes the truth very seriously. So should we.

Lord,
Your high concern for the truth of scripture calls me to love and guard the truth. As a church elder I am called to guard the truth, to treasure and defend it. I’m not a “heresy-hunting” zealot.... but I am serious about correcting doctrine when it undermines the precious truth of the gospel. Keep me vigilant in worship of You, Lord!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment