Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Jesus in the pages


You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
John 5:39-40

Beware of Bible-olatry. We worship Jesus, not the Bible. Of course the scriptures are amazing. They are vital and crucial to a person’s walk with God and spiritual growth and maturity. But they are important because they all clearly point to Jesus. They are amazing because the scriptures unfold the drama of the ages: our redemption by Jesus alone. Jesus Himself said it with conviction: the scriptures “bear witness about me.” We worship the One of Whom the scriptures always speak.

If we are not careful, we can get more enamored with personal knowledge, with theological minutia, or with ancient trivia than with the Person Who is the theme of the book. Jesus warned us, through His call for the Jewish religious leaders to believe in Him, that the temptation to miss Him is very real. The pages of my Bible all turn to Jesus.

No matter where I am in the book, I want to pause and consider this question: How does this show me my great Savior? And then, once that is known, I want to think about what God is saying in that light. In that practice, my time in the Word can always be time with my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment